October 8, 1408: The city of Jassy (Iasi in Romanian) or Yas (Yiddish) is mentioned in business correspondence between Prince Alexander the Good (Alexandru cel Bun) and merchants from Lviv then a part of Poland. The Romanian city of Yas would become a center of Jewish settlement as well as the site of the largest massacre of Jews in Romania in World War II. (Mitchell Levin)
According to the 1930 census, with a population of 34,662 (some 34% of the city’s population), Jews were the second largest ethnic group in Iași. There were over 127 synagogues.
During the war, while the full scale of the Holocaust remained generally unknown to the Allied powers, the Iași pogrom stood as one of the known examples of Axis brutality toward the Jews.
The pogrom lasted from June 29 to July 6, 1941, and over 13,266 people, or one third of the Jewish population, were massacred in the pogrom itself or in its aftermath, and many were deported.
Iași is the largest city in eastern Romania and the seat of Iasi County. Located in the historical region of Moldavia, Iași has traditionally been one of the leading centers of Romanian social, cultural, academic and artistic life. The city was the capital of the Principality of Moldavia from 1564 to 1859, then of the United Principalities from 1859 to 1862, and the capital of Romania from 1916 to 1918.
Known as The Cultural Capital of Romania, Iași is a symbol in Romanian history. The historian Nicolae Iorga said “There should be no Romanian who does not know of it”. Still referred to as The Moldavian Capital, Iași is the main economic and business centre of the Moldavian region of Romania. (from Wikipedia)
Pictured here is a postcard dated October 2, 1900 showing Golia Street in Iasi (Jassy):
And, also here is a Romanian telegraph stamp from 1871, using the city’s Hungarian name “Jassy” cancelled with the date of December 1st: